Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A special treat for breakfast. Double the egg mixture if you like a thicker coating on your toast.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- vegetable oil
- 1 loaf cinnamon-swirl bread
- confectioners' sugar
Brandied orange butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- For toast: Beat the eggs in a bowl until smooth; add the milk, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla and blend well; batter should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- Brush a skillet with the oil.
- Dip bread slices into the batter, coating both sides.
- Fry in prepared skillet until brown on each side.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or spread with orange butter.
- For butter: Whip the butter, confectioner's sugar, brandy, and orange zest in a bowl until light and fluffy. Chill, covered, until firm.