Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
More of a cake than bread, this is moist and full of buttercream. A little time consuming, but worth it. Served on a pretty plate and dusted with powdered sugar, it is an impressive dessert.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix chopped chocolate and boiling water together until chocolate melts. Cool completely.
- Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat brown sugar and butter together till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add sour cream.
- Slowly add chocolate mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix till thoroughly blended. Spread into a 9 x 5 -inch loaf pan that has been well greased and floured. Smooth top evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen loaf with a metal spatula and turn out to cool completely.
- To make filling:.
- Beat together confectioners sugar, and butter till light and fluffy. Beat in cream, corn syrup and cinnamon.
- To assemble: cut a 3/4-inch slice off of each side of the cake starting with the sides. Lay slices on a piece of parchment with the baked side down and the cut side up. Spread all surfaces with filling and use it all.
- Replace sides and top and bottom. Wrap with plastic and chill for an hour. Remove wrap, place on a plate or platter and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve with fresh berries if desired.