Every time I hear the words "Cinnamon Chicken" I am reminded of the tv series Little House on the Prairie and the famous episode where Nellie asks Laura to help her cook Almanzo's favorite meal. Laura is jealous of Nellie and replaces the cinnamon with tons of black pepper. Anyway, here is a recipe I clipped from a magazine a long time ago that brings the image of what that dish might have tasted like(if Laura had not tampered with it lol). This was adapted from a magazine clipping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice (or half juice and half sherry wine)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (8 pieces total)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, approximately
- 1 lemon, for garnish, cut into wedges
- Combine juice, honey, lemon juice, garlic, seasonings in a large ziptop container.
- Add chicken pieces, seal bag, shake to coat well and let marinade in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F and have ready a large roasting pan, 9" x 13".
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shake off the excess and set chicken aside on a plate.
- Pour marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil until it has reduced to 1 cup and has begun to thicken (about 10-15 minutes).
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown chicken parts over fairly high heat just a few minutes per side, lowering heat if needed to prevent from charring- you want the chicken to be evenly browned, but not fully cooked yet.
- Place chicken in the roasting pan and pour the reduced marinade on top.
- Bake 30-55 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and no no longer pink (will vary based on the chicken pieces you use).
- Skim fat from the pan juices and serve juices as a dipping sauce if you like.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
"Little house on the prairie- " I believe laura added a LOT of pepper. This recipe is really good. I served this with rice pilaf thanks !
YUM! This was such a good recipe. The cinnamon and the pepper warred aganst each other but in such a good way. This was terrific and we'll definitely be eating it often.
Laura Ingalls is starting a new craze I see. I was watching the show and thought what is cinnamon chicken? Well after trying your recipe, I let it marinate over night, I can tell you it is delicious.TY for the posting