Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of mom's favorites. Hearty, filling and tasty. These also freeze well; I store them in plastic freezer bags. Please note, the bran flakes listed in in the ingredients are more like large flakes of wheat germ and less like a breakfast cereal, although they can often be found on the breakfast cereal aisle at the grocery store.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups bran flakes
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, soft
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift together flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Combine bran flakes, milk, egg and shortening. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just enough to moisten. Stir in raisins.
- Spoon batter into greased 2-1/2" muffin pan cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle mixture over muffins.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until done.