Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from Martha White.
Make and share this Cilantro Lime Corn Meal Dumplings in Chorizo Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 lb fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire roasted diced tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canregular diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in cast iron 5-quart fryer, over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of spoon to break into pieces. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Cover. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- STIR together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick. Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm.
- TO SERVE, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
This was so good! I only had corn meal (not the mix), so I added 1/2 cup Bisquick to the dumpling mix. Will definitely be making this again, but I think next time I'll leave out the flour, as it made the soup thicker than we normally like. Thanks for sharing!
Great soup -- loved the cornmeal dumplings! This is a nice hearty soup with great flavor. I made as directed with one exception -- I substituted the chicken for all chorizo and I added black beans. Turned out great.
Fantastic! Really full of flavor! It was a bit spicy for me, I think it all depends on your chorizo. I served with sour cream and avocado. I used soy chorizo (shh don't tell DH), and had to use Jiffy corn muffin mix because Martha White was not available - so I did alter the recipe to account for that. The contrast of flavors with the spicy soup and slightly sweet dumpling with the brightness of lime and cilantro. Really good! Thanks for posting.