Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful comfort food. The kind of dinner I'd like to have on a lazy Sunday. Scalloped or Duchesse potatoes are especially good alongside.
- Combine the salt, pepper, sage and thyme and rub into pork.
- Wrap pork in plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Pat pork dry with paper towels.
- In a large, ovenproof casserole heat oil over moderate-high heat until hot but not smoking and brown the pork.
- Transfer to a plate, pour off all but 2 tblsps fat, and cook onion and garlic over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return pork to casserole, add cider and bring to boil.
- Braise pork, covered, in a preheated 350F (165C) oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer to a heated platter, discard string and let stand 10 minutes.
- Spoon off fat from pan juices and puree pan juices with a blender (or immersion blender).
- Season to taste.
- Serve in a sauceboat.
- Arrange sautéed apples around sliced pork.
Excellent dinner. I only had one hour to put the rub on the meat. I then followed the recipe and it was wonderful. I made Sauteed Apples for the apples and served with mashed potatoes and the wonderful sauce. The smell in the kitchen was amazing. Do not overcook the pork, it was moist and delicious.
This was delicious and so easy to make.