Recipe by dicentra
2007 National Chicken Cooking Contest Finalist Candace McMenamin, Lexington, SC
Top Review by CarolAT
What can be better than chicken and grits? This is a great combination of two of my favorite things. I really liked the creamy cheesy grits with the tender chicken thighs. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- fresh thyme sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet over medium high heat, place 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes per side, until browned. Remove to 9x12-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk together apple cider, thyme, garlic salt and honey; pour over chicken.
- Place in 350°F oven and bake about 45 minutes or until fork tender. In large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute about 3 minutes or until transparent.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and continue cooking about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In medium saucepan, place water and bring to rapid boil.
- Stir in grits, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in butter and cheese and continue stirring until melted. Cover and remove from heat.
- To serve, place equal amounts of grits in 4 shallow bowls. Top with onion mixture and 2 chicken thighs. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Makes 4 servings.