The inspiration for this recipe can from some rolls I bought - they were very expensive. I have recreated them using my bread machine, they are great with cheese or soup. The recipe has a traditional starter made the night before you bake the rolls.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon quick-rising yeast
- 175 g white bread flour
- 200 ml water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon quick-rising yeast
- 325 g white bread flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 80 ml water
- 100 g green pitted olives in brine
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes (dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For this recipe use your bread machine and use the same quantities as mine, but you may need to change the order of ingredients for Stage 2.
- Stage 1.
- Add the ingredients in the order shown.
- Select Pizza Dough program and turn off the machine after 15 minutes.
- Leave for 12 hours in the Kitchen.
- Stage 2.
- Add the ingredients listed in Stage 2 to the yeasty mixture from Stage 1, in the order given for your machine for a Basic Dough.
- Start the machine using the Basic Dough program with Extra Ingredients to be added during the program.
- Meanwhile rinse the Olives in water to remove the brine and drain them. Cut each Olive into four pieces and dry them on kitchen paper.
- When your machine bleeps for the additional ingredients, add the Stage 3 ingredients and restart the machine if necessary.
- The the Dough program cycle is finished, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. It will be sticky so lightly flour your hands first.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and then cover it with either a dusting of flour or Semolina and shake off the surplus.
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Form the dough into a loose ball, but do not knead it. Divide into eight equal pieces, roughly shape them into balls and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the rolls with a dusting of flour.
- Put the into a warm place until doubled in size, about 20 – 30 minutes. (Don't worry if it doesn't rise very much, it will rise during baking).
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- At end of baking period, remove for oven and place on a cooling rack to cool for a while.
- Your Ciabatta rolls can be eaten warm or allowed to cool. They will keep in a tin for a day or so. Enjoy.