Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an excellent side dish which I adapted years ago from a recipe on a box of Uncle Ben's rice.
- 1 cup long grain rice, I use Uncle Ben's Original Enriched Parboiled Long Grain Rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, lower sodium
- 1⁄2 cup chutney, I use Crosse & Blackwell Major Grey's Mango Chutney
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted in oven
- Pour chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add rice to broth (adding too quickly may cause a boil over).
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chutney, raisins and curry powder and stir until well mixed.
- Let stand approximately 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Sprinkle with the toasted almonds before serving.
Very nice, very easy, much enjoyed by the family. I did leave out the raisins. It has a strong flavour, better served with other sides that are not too dominant in their flavours. I served it with MrsJs Chicken Cutlet Parmesan With Tomato Sauce. Made for PAC Fall 2008