Chicken salad is elevated by using a spicy chutney and good curry blend. I received this recipe from a friend's co-worker at Salon Kellogg in Kansas City, MO. It holds up well for 3-5 days when refrigerated; you might want to add a TBS or so of mayo prior to serving if it has been in the fridge for over a day. If you can't find a spicy chutney use a regular one and add some good chili powder, about 1/2 teaspoon. NOTE: the recipe is only as good as the curry powder used. If you don't have a preference, try Penzey's Maharajah Curry. It's a tasty blend. Prep time includes cooking the rice but doesn't include cooking the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked (boiled or roasted, or use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup rice, dry
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, white to light green parts, diced
- 2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise, Light
- 8 -12 ounces chutney, Major Grey's, with mango- spicy
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (Penzey's Maharajah Curry)
- 1/2-3/4 cup almonds (sliced or slivered)
- 1/2 cup currants (optional) or 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1Cook rice on stovetop in your preferred way.
- 2While rice cooks, chop chicken. Slice water chestnuts into slivers. Dice the green onions.
- 3Toast almonds in a saute pan on the stovetop, stirring carefully so they don't burn. About 10 minutes on medium heat.
- 4When rice is finished cooking, mix all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring gently and thoroughly. Refrigerate an hour or so. Eat in sandwiches or atop crackers. We like it on plain water crackers.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chutney Curry Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.0
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 620.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: