Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chicken salad is elevated by using a spicy chutney and good curry blend. I received this recipe from a friend's co-worker at Salon Kellogg in Kansas City, MO. It holds up well for 3-5 days when refrigerated; you might want to add a TBS or so of mayo prior to serving if it has been in the fridge for over a day. If you can't find a spicy chutney use a regular one and add some good chili powder, about 1/2 teaspoon. NOTE: the recipe is only as good as the curry powder used. If you don't have a preference, try Penzey's Maharajah Curry. It's a tasty blend. Prep time includes cooking the rice but doesn't include cooking the chicken.
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked (boiled or roasted, or use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup rice, dry
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, white to light green parts, diced
- 2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise, Light
- 8 -12 ounces chutney, Major Grey's, with mango- spicy
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (Penzey's Maharajah Curry)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup almonds (sliced or slivered)
- 1⁄2 cup currants (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Cook rice on stovetop in your preferred way.
- While rice cooks, chop chicken. Slice water chestnuts into slivers. Dice the green onions.
- Toast almonds in a saute pan on the stovetop, stirring carefully so they don't burn. About 10 minutes on medium heat.
- When rice is finished cooking, mix all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring gently and thoroughly. Refrigerate an hour or so. Eat in sandwiches or atop crackers. We like it on plain water crackers.