Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Chili Nation, Jane and Michael Stern
Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Make the macaroni and cheese: bring a big pot of water to a boil; add salt and cook macaroni 5-8 minutes, until just tender; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a 2 ½ to 3 quart casserole.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly.
- Heat the milk to just below boiling and stir it into the flour-butter mixture, stirring constantly until thickened; add in the salt and mustard.
- In a big bowl, combine the macaroni, white sauce, and cheese, stirring just enough to blend.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
- Make the chili: in a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add in the beef; cook until browned, breaking up any clumps; drain excess fat.
- Add in the barbecue sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add as much crushed tomatoes as needed to keep the chili loose.
- Serve the chili in broad, shallow bowls atop the macaroni and cheese.
I made this for a family party and there was nothing left! Everybody loved it and asked me where I got the recipe!!! I made them a copy of the one I printed out. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It tastes so good! You know you are eating comfort food for sure!