Roughneck Boilermaker Chili
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In Chili Nation, by Jane and Michael Stern
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄4 cups beer
- 1 1⁄2 ounces jack daniel whiskey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (recommended Pendery's Dallas Dynomite)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon masa harina flour (dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water)
- tortilla chips
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a big skillet or Dutch oven, saute/stir the onion and garlic in hot oil until soft, over med-high heat.
- Add in the meat and cook until browned, stirring to keep it broken up; drain any excess fat .
- Add in beans, tomatoes, salt, oregano, beer, whiskey, chili powder, pepper, and sugar; bring to a simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in masa harina mixture; cook 7-10 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of tortilla chips, sprinkled with the onion and cheddar cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION