3 hrs 30 mins
My husband doesn't care for beans but he really enjoyed these. Recipe is easy to make and reminded me of cooking a pot of beans over an open fire while camping. You can modify to your personal taste, for example, if you prefer ham flavor rather than ground beef; no salt; add a little more red pepper for more heat; etc. Hope you enjoy the recipe. Recipe is a modified version of a County Line BBQ recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup bacon, chopped (don't leave out adds a specific flavor to the beans. A little more bacon can be added, if desired.)
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Clean beans by rinsing. Place beans in 4 qrt. pan, cover beans with water, bring to a boil and turn off the stove. Soak for one hour. As beans soften and expand, add more water to cover, if needed.
- 2While beans are soaking, cook ground beef on stove until browned. Drain grease, remove ground beef from pan and pat with paper towel to absorb any extra grease. Set aside.
- 3Drain the bean's soak water (leave the bean residue on bottom of pan) and again, add enough water to fully cover.
- 4Add all remaining ingrediants and stir together.
- 5Cook on low to medium heat (low, slow boil), stirring every so often, for 2 to 3 hours or until beans are done to your preferred tenderness.
- 6Just before serving, add a sprinkle of grated sharp cheddar cheese on top.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chuck Wagon Pinto Beans
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.5
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 8.1 mg
- Sodium 260.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g