Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very yummy Alton Recipe- I just love all his postings, and this one is no different
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced 1/4-inch thick on bias
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, soaked at least 4 hours and up to overnight
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces fresh kale, approximately 4 handfuls
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the kielbasa into a 7-quart Dutch oven and set over medium-low heat. Cook until the kielbasa has browned well and rendered its fat, approximately 15 minutes. If you do not have at least 2 teaspoons of fat, add enough vegetable oil to make 2 teaspoons. Remove the kielbasa from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the beans and the chicken broth and cook, covered, for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, add the potatoes, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash, rinse and trim the kale and tear into bite size pieces. Add the kale to the pot, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or just until it is tender, but not mushy.
- Add the red wine vinegar and black pepper and stir to combine. Evenly distribute the kielbasa between 8 soup bowls. Laddle the soup into bowls and serve.
me and my sister in law did this together- I am sure she has or is about to rate this as well- it was GREAT
This was really yummy