Recipe by TammieV
From a book of Christmas recipes by top chefs and food writers. Recipe was submitted by Bert Greene.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Beat butter in large bowl till light.
- slowly beat in sugar, egg yolk, cream, vanilla and orange peel.
- Stir in both flours with heavy wooden spoon.
- Work with fingers till soft dough is formed.
- Knead briefly, form into ball.
- Butter and flour shortbread mold, press dough evenly over surface. Or, if you do not have a mold, butter and flour the underside of a 9-inch round cake pan, press dough evenly over the top, then invert the dough onto a cornmeal-sprinkled baking sheet.
- Loosening it with a spatula if necessary.
- Bake till the edges of the shortbread begins to pale golden brown, 40-50 minutes.
- If baking on baking sheet, remove from oven after first 10 minutes and press lightly in the center with a decorative cutter or butter mold, score into 12 wedges around the pattern using a pastry wheel or serrated knife.
- Continue to bake till the edges begin to turn golden.
- Cool on wire rack.