I played around with 2 recipes and created this one. We think these are delicious. You could put two together with a filling between them if you dare! Please know that prep time doesn't include the time to chill the cookies. You will notice there are 2 chilling times. These are a must have for your cookie exchange or cookie plate! Santa surely will appreciate these coookies! Excellent with a glass of milk! If you like more of a peppermint flavor, I suppose you could add some peppermint extract to the dough mixture. I didn't and we really enjoy them with just the crushed candies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl, beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
- 2Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy and light.
- 3In smaller bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt;
- 4Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat at low speed until well incorporated.
- 5Divide the dough into 2 equal portions making 2 rolls.
- 6Take 1 roll and place in a small bowl. Add the red food coloring and mix well with a large spoon. If the color isn't red enough, add more red food coloring.
- 7Add the crushed peppermint candy to this red dough. Mix well with the large spoon and form into a log.
- 8Now, wrap each log with Saran wrap and chill for 45 minutes or until firm.
- 9At this point instead of chilling dough, if you plan on baking these later, you may freeze the dough for up to 6 weeks.
- 10Creating the pinwheels:.
- 11Lightly flour your rolling surface.
- 12Take the plain dough and roll into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle.
- 13Place a large piece of wax paper and and roll the red dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle by placing another piece of wax paper or Seran Wrap on top of the red dough so the rolling pin doesn't touch and stick to the dough.
- 14Now, lift the wax paper or Seran Wrap off the red dough. Invert the plain dough on top of the red dough.
- 15Cut dough in half so you have 2 (12 x 4-inch) rectangles.
- 16Roll up each rectangle in jelly-roll fashion and as you do so, remove the wax paper or Seran Wrap that is on the bottom of the red dough. Start at the long side. Wrap each log in Seran Wrap.
- 17Chill about an hour.
- 18Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using dark pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 19Remove dough from refrigerator and unwrap.
- 20Cut dough into 1/4 inch slices.
- 21Bake for 6-7 minutes or until set; cool slightly on pans, then remove to racks to cool completely. Note: 6 minutes will give you a chewier cookie.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 55.9
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 46.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: