Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Step by step goose recipe was originally printed in Bon Appetit (December 1983)
- 1 (10 -12 lb) goose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium apples, quartered
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- 6 tablespoons flour
- beef broth
- Remove neck and giblets from goose.
- Set aside.
- Trim extra fat from neck and tail.
- Rub inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 thyme sprig, 1 parsley sprig, 4 apple quarters, 4 onion quarters and 4 celery pieces to cavity.
- Repeat with remaining apples, onions, celery, thyme and parsley.
- Skewer cavity closed and lace tightly.
- Fold wings against back.
- Preheat oven to 500-degrees F.
- Set goose in pan breast side down.
- Prick skin well.
- Roast 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 400-degrees F.
- and continue roasting for 30 minutes.
- Turn goose over; prick again.
- Roast 1 hour.
- While goose is cooking, bring neck, giblets and 3 cups of water to simmer over medium low heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove liver and set aside. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours. Drain. Set giblets aside. Discard neck.
- Pour drippings from goose and set aside.
- Prick again.
- Pour 2 cups water in pan.
- Continue cooking for 1- 1/2 hours.
- Pour drippings from pan and set aside.
- Let goose stand 20-30 minutes.
- While goose is resting, chop liver and giblets.
- Skim 6 TB fat from drippings and heat in pan over low heat.
- Stir in 3 TB flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Degrease drippings and add to broth.
- Add enough beef broth to equal 3 cups.
- Add to pan.
- Increase heat to med.
- high and cook until thick.
- Blend in chopped giblets and liver.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat.
- Remove trusing thread and pins from goose.
- Throw away stuffing.
Great easy recipe. 12lb goose done in 3 hrs plus standing.My first goose, will definitely have again.