1 hr 15 mins
Use as mincemeat (without suet!) or serve at breakfast with your favorite scones, English muffins or just toast. Use for a surprise between two slices of baked French toast, spoon over puffy pancakes. Frances Bissell *Preserving Nature's Bounty* gets the credit for developing this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs tart apples, cored wedges
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried pears, chopped
- 1 cup dried dates, pitted, chopped
- 1 cup dried prune, pitted, chopped
- 1/4 cup candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel
- 1/4 cup candied cherry
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed (crushed)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1Place apples in large pot with water, simmer until soft.
- 2In a large bowl, add all the chopped & pitted fruit.
- 3Press soft apples with a potato masher, then spoon into a square of cheesecloth (clipped to a footed colander), suspended over the bowl of fruit.
- 4Let apples drip over fruit WITHOUT squeezing or forcing--overnight.
- 5Next morning: add remaining ingredients EXCEPT for nuts to a large sauce-pot, adding soaked fruit.
- 6Stir, then simmer gently until sugar dissolves; bring to a boil; boiling for five minutes.
- 7Skim survace, add nuts, boil another five minutes until 200*F (sea level).
- 8Remove pan from heat; spoon jam into hot jars, add two-part lids; process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes (sea level).
- 9Label and store in cool, dark cupboard.
- 10GIFT GIVING: Use pretty jars and add a decorative label -- include in a basket with other home-made kitchen gifts. "How nice of you!".
- 11USES: As described above OR as a replacement for traditional (with suet) mincemeat.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Dried-Fruit Jam
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.1
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 93.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied lemon peel
candied orange peel