Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A fun interpretation of week-night meat loaf. From Weber's Big Book of Grilling.
For the steaks
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chuck
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the steaks: In a large bowl, combine the milk and bread crumbs; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil; add in the onion; stir/saute about 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add in the garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally; add in the curry and ginger; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Add the cooled sauteed onion and the rest of the steak ingredients to the soaked bread crumbs; gently mix until well blended.
- With wet hands, shape the meat into four patties of equal size and thickness (4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick).
- Place steaks on a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with olive oil and grill over direct medium heat 8-10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- After turning, glaze the top of each steak with 1 tablespoon ketchup and allow it to cook into the meat; serve hot.