Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 kg pork, cut into even sized pieces
- 1 1⁄2 kg small white beans, soaked overnight
- 375 ml tomato juice
- 1 finely medium chopped onion
- 125 ml olive oil or 125 ml corn oil
- some celery
- Put the beans in a sauce pan with fresh water to cover, boil for ten minutes and then drain.
- Cook in fresh water (in a pressure cooker if you have one) with some soup celery until about half tender.
- Remember not to add salt- otherwise the beans will take forever to cook.
- Drain the beans and discard the celery.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the meat and the onions.
- Add the tomato juice, salt and pepper and simmer over low heat until the meat is nearly done.
- Add the beans and simmer gently until the meat and the beans are tender.
- Serve hot with bread.
- If you need more liquid, top it up with more tomato juice.
- A generous spoonful of tomato paste enhances the colour.