Top Review by lisap_66
The cake tastes good but it cracked and "sank" in the middle... The frosting tastes ok-- a little too drippy for me, so I'd reduce the liquid and increase the margarine next time...
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons regular margarine
- 1 cup water
Mocha Chocolate Frosting
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons coffee, brewed, hot
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons regular margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together into a mixing bowl.
- Make 3 wells in the dry ingredients.
- Pour vanilla into 1 well; vinegar into 1 well and melted butter into the third.
- Pour water over all.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Frost with Mocha Chocolate Frosting.
- Cut into squares.
- MOCHA CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, softened butter, coffee, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat, with an electric mixer set at medium speed, until smooth.
- NOTE: This recipe came from a very old church cookbook that the woman found and is typical of many of the recipes of the 1800's.
- The vinegar was used to keep the cake from spoiling.
- Try this and I think that you will like it.