Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From Southern Living, September 1997.
Make and share this Chocolate-Swirled Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Add flour to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Mix at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine 1 cup batter and chocolate syrup, stirring until blended.
- Divide remaining batter in half; pour 1 portion into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Spoon half of chocolate batter on top; repeat layers.
- Gently swirl batter with a knife.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Excellent pound cake! I had some Hershey's special dark chocolate syrup that I needed to use, and this recipe was perfect. The dark syrup made for a deep dark chocolate swirl.
Great cake, I added in 1/2 teaspoon baking powder just to give it a bit of a boost, I baked it in an air-convection oven at 300 degrees and mine baked out in 1 hour and 20 minutes, I found I had to cover it the last 20 minutes of baking as it really started to over brown but did bake out beautifully so 5-stars all the way hon...Kitten:)
Absolutely delicious! I was so thrilled with this recipe. Easy to make and instructions was easy to read. The cake was just the right texture and so moist. It was a huge hit at the lake with all our friends. Its one I will be making again. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I love the Southern Living Magazine.