Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A recipe I found in the Baker's Desserts for Chocolate Lover's.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 baker's unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt set aside.
- Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on High for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add 1 cup of the sugar; mix well. Blend in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or until dough is easy to handle. Shape into 1 inch balls; rolling in remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Place 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. If flatter crisper cookie is desired, flatten with bottom of glass.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Cool on baking sheets 1 minute remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Chocolate Carmel Sugar Cookies: Omit 1/2 cup of the sugar prepare dough into balls as directed. Roll in 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans instead of sugar. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Make indentation in each ball.
- Bake as directed.
- Microwave 1 bag (14 ounces) of Kraft caramels and 2 tablespoons of milk in microwaveable bowl on High for 3 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring after 2 minutes. Spoon evenly into centers of cookies. Drizzle with melted Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate.
- Cool completely.
I made these cookies last night for a late night snack. Since I didn't have bakers chocolate on hand, I substituted 4 tablespoons melted margarine and 3/4 cup cocoa for it (as per foodsubs.com's recommendations). The cookies came out tasting kind of like little pieces of chocolate cake with a lightly crunchy sugary exterior. Overall, they were cheap, easy to make, and delicious - so much so that I am pretty sure these are going to be the cookies I give everyone as presents for Christmas 2010. Thanks!