Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
Don't let the number of ingredients or the number of steps stop you from preparing this delightful dessert.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, plus
- 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate fudge topping, divided
- 10 whole strawberries (optional) or 10 whole grated chocolate (optional)
- Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; refrigerate if desired.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar.
- Cut in butter and 2/3 cup morsels until crumbly.
- Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
- Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-inch thick. Place on waxed paper lined baking sheets.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining morsels.
- Bake at 450 for 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
- To serve, carefully split the shortcakes horizontally and place bottom halves on individual dessert plates. Top with one half of each of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge sauce.
- Top with top halves of shortcakes and remaining fudge sauce, sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Garnish with a whole strawberry or chocolate curls if desired.