1/1 Photo of Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
These cookies don't have many ingredients, are easy to make, and taste pretty good. This was my attempt at a copycat of a Chocolate Oreo Cakester, but it's not the same. It's not really like a whoopie pie, either. Unlike either of those, with these, you can really only eat one (well, I can), because they're pretty dense. You can also make a mint version by adding the ingredients that are marked as optional. If you try these with butter-flavored shortening for the cookie part, let me know how it turns out - or any other substitutions (cake mixes, extract flavors...). If you make these the day before (or even 2 days before) and refrigerate them, the cookie part becomes a bit softer. Also, try my Vanilla Sandwich Cookies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the cookie ingredients.
- 3Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls (ping pong ball-size) and place on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Make sure you have an even number of cookies. Smash the balls down just a bit.
- 4Bake for about 7-8 minutes. Take them out of the oven when the tops have cracked a little.
- 5Let them sit on the hot cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- 6Make the filling: With a mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the vanilla (or peppermint extract and green food coloring, if using). Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- 7Frost the underside of a cookie and place another cookie on top.
- 8Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 377.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 28.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g