Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional baked chocolate pudding. The best I've ever made, the best I've ever eaten. Please use the best quality chocolate you can afford to use. It makes a world of difference.
- 8 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Get out a roasting pan that will comfortably fit 6-8 individual ramekins.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- Whisk the sugar, yolks, vanilla and salt together in another bowl.
- Heat the cream to a scald.
- Pour half over the chocolate and let sit without stirring.
- Meanwhile, slowly (fast dribble) the remaining cream into the yolks, whisking constantly (wrap a wet towel around the base of the bowl to hold it steady.) When the yolks are tempered, stir the chocolate, then add to the yolks and mix very well.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh stainer, then ladle carefully into the ramekins.
- Put the roasting pan into the oven, then pour boiling water in the pan (don't get any in the ramekins!) until the water comes about 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake about 1 hour.
- You will know the puddings are done when the edges seem soft, but set, but there is still a light-colored spot in the center about the size of a quarter that still jiggles.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- I can not stress this enough.
- I promise, even though they look not done, they will firm up considerably outside of the oven.
- Remove the custards from the water bath carefully and set on the counter to cool.
- Then refrigerate them for at least 3 hours, preferably 6-8 hours, before serving.
- They need no garnish, but you might want to do something pretty like some edible flowers on the side, or even a little mint.
- When you eat them, they should be PUDDING like, not firm like cheesecake or other custards.
- They will be quite soft and creamy- not liquidy, just very much like chocolate pudding.
CHOCOLATE HEAVEN!! Had them last night....and I am still in Heaven now. You would think that the weight I have gained would drag me to hell...no!!! These are just way too good!!!! Followed the recipe to the T.
Tried this for dessert last night and i can still taste it--YUMMY.--Will try it again for sure.