1 hr 30 mins
Traditional baked chocolate pudding. The best I've ever made, the best I've ever eaten. Please use the best quality chocolate you can afford to use. It makes a world of difference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2Get out a roasting pan that will comfortably fit 6-8 individual ramekins.
- 3Put the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- 4Whisk the sugar, yolks, vanilla and salt together in another bowl.
- 5Heat the cream to a scald.
- 6Pour half over the chocolate and let sit without stirring.
- 7Meanwhile, slowly (fast dribble) the remaining cream into the yolks, whisking constantly (wrap a wet towel around the base of the bowl to hold it steady.) When the yolks are tempered, stir the chocolate, then add to the yolks and mix very well.
- 8Strain the mixture through a fine mesh stainer, then ladle carefully into the ramekins.
- 9Put the roasting pan into the oven, then pour boiling water in the pan (don't get any in the ramekins!) until the water comes about 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins.
- 10Bake about 1 hour.
- 11You will know the puddings are done when the edges seem soft, but set, but there is still a light-colored spot in the center about the size of a quarter that still jiggles.
- 12DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- 13I can not stress this enough.
- 14I promise, even though they look not done, they will firm up considerably outside of the oven.
- 15Remove the custards from the water bath carefully and set on the counter to cool.
- 16Then refrigerate them for at least 3 hours, preferably 6-8 hours, before serving.
- 17They need no garnish, but you might want to do something pretty like some edible flowers on the side, or even a little mint.
- 18When you eat them, they should be PUDDING like, not firm like cheesecake or other custards.
- 19They will be quite soft and creamy- not liquidy, just very much like chocolate pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.6
- Calories from Fat 568
- Total Fat 63.2 g
- Saturated Fat 38.1 g
- Cholesterol 427.1 mg
- Sodium 165.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g