Recipe by Sky Valley Cook
This is so good and moist. I make it in a pretty bundt pan and sprinkle powdered sugar on it. From a Southern Living cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix shortening and butter until blended.
- Gradually add sugar, until completely blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk to shortening mixture, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mixing until just blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured 10-inch tube or bundt pan (I use a bundt pan).
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes in pan then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar on top or you could drizzle a chocolate galze over it.