Recipe by dwightblunschi
This recipe has been in my family for over 50 years. This is the best chocolate pie ever.
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, scaled
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (8 inch) baked pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate and butter over hot water in top of double boiler.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt; stir in chocolate, mixing well until well blended.
- Add 1 cup of the hot milk and stir until smooth. Add remaining milk and continue to cook, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth and thickened(about 15 minute).
- Beat egg yolks well; stir in a little of the chocolate mixture, then pour back into the rest of the hot mixture and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Pour immediately into cooled pie shell. Cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then slowly beat in the 1/3 cup of sugar until very thick and smooth.
- Pile lightly and quickly over pie filling so meringue touches edges of crust all around.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.