1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces soft dark brown sugar
- 10 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 orange, rind only,grated
- 4 eggs
- 4 -5 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- 1Preheat oven to 375F, and grease 2 8-9cake pans.
- 2Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 3Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- 4Add the orange rind to the creamed butter and beat in the eggs, one at a time, including a spoonful of the measured flour mixture with each one, and beating well between additions.
- 5Gently mix in the Guinness, a tablespoonful at a time, including another spoonful of flour with each addition.
- 6If there's any flour left over, fold it in gently to mix; blend thoroughly without over-beating.
- 7Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth down, and put the cakes into the center of the preheated oven.
- 8Reduce the heat to moderate (350F) and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cakes are springy to the touch and shrinking slightly in the pans.
- 9Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- 10While the cakes are baking, make the icing.
- 11Cream the softened butter and icing sugar together thoroughly, then blend in the grated orange rind and enough juice to make an icing that is soft enough to spread.
- 12When the cakes are cold, use half the icing to sandwich them together, and spread the rest on top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Orange Guinness Cake
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1039.4
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 262.9 mg
- Sodium 1084.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 77.8 g
- Protein 11.2 g