1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces soft dark brown sugar
- 10 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 orange, rind only,grated
- 4 eggs
- 4 -5 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- 1Preheat oven to 375F, and grease 2 8-9cake pans.
- 2Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 3Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- 4Add the orange rind to the creamed butter and beat in the eggs, one at a time, including a spoonful of the measured flour mixture with each one, and beating well between additions.
- 5Gently mix in the Guinness, a tablespoonful at a time, including another spoonful of flour with each addition.
- 6If there's any flour left over, fold it in gently to mix; blend thoroughly without over-beating.
- 7Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth down, and put the cakes into the center of the preheated oven.
- 8Reduce the heat to moderate (350F) and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cakes are springy to the touch and shrinking slightly in the pans.
- 9Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- 10While the cakes are baking, make the icing.
- 11Cream the softened butter and icing sugar together thoroughly, then blend in the grated orange rind and enough juice to make an icing that is soft enough to spread.
- 12When the cakes are cold, use half the icing to sandwich them together, and spread the rest on top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Orange Guinness Cake
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1039.4
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 262.9 mg
- Sodium 1084.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 77.8 g
- Protein 11.2 g