Flourless Chocolate-Orange Almond Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole almonds (about 6-7 oz.)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated orange peel
- 6 large eggs, seperated
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush bottom of 10-inch springform pan generously with butter or margarine.
- Blend almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor until almonds are finely ground. Add chocolate; blend until chocolate is finely ground.
- Whisk cocoa, orange juice and orange peel in small bowl until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. sugar. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean.
- Using an electric mixer, beat until yolk mixture is very thick, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in cocoa mixture. Fold in ground-almond mixture.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 Tbs. sugar, beating until whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold whites into chocolate batter in 3 additions. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack. If making a day ahead of time, cover with foil and store at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have the somewhat ironic distinction of not only being a registered dietitian, but also a graduate of culinary school. Needless to say, my two sides often "fight" when it comes to cooking. I try to compromise and make everything healthy without losing too much flavor. I keep everything in check by participating in my other hobby, long-distance running. While others may eat to run, I usually run to eat!