Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love chocolate and orange. This uses a chocolate orange "it's not Terry's - it's mine!" but if you haven't got one, use ordinary chocolate and add a drop or two of orange flavouring. From my enormous collection of recipes.
- 3 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 25 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 175 g caster sugar
- 250 g butter, softened
- 175 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 25 g chocolate, orange, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
- Grease a 900 g (2lb) loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Beat together eggs, flour, cocoa, caster sugar and 175 g butter for 2 minutes, or until blended.
- Spoon mixture into the tin. Level the surface, making a slight well in the centre.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until spongy to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Beat remaining butter, icing sugar and milk until smooth. Dividie into two bowls. Fold the melted chocolate orange into one buttercream. Spoon both buttercreams over the top of the cake. Swirl gently with a palette knife.