Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
18 one 2-by-2-inch slice per serving.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb French bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- egg substitute, equivalent to 1 egg or 1 large regular egg
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (from about 2 medium oranges)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan with vegetable oil.
- Put bread pieces in pan, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, sugar and cocoa powder over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and mixture looks like hot chocolate, about 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients.
- Pour over bread and let mixture sit for about 15 minutes, or until bread has absorbed all the liquid.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until pudding is puffed up in center and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.