Recipe by Roosie
A nice change from flavoring or sweetening your oatmeal with brown sugar or maple syrup. This is a real treat for kids and kids-at-heart.
Top Review by Greeny4444
This is perfect. I made this in the microwave, and it took about 2 1/2 minutes. I used 2 tsp. Splenda, because I was out of sugar, and I didn't use any of the optional ingredients. Not too sweet, but just a perfect chocolate start to the morning! I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks, Roosie!
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar (younger audiences may prefer 3 tsp to make it sweeter)
- chocolate chips (optional)
- fruit (optional)
- nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until begining to simmer.
- Reduce heat and add oats, cocoa and sugar.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- If you want your oatmeal thick or watery, this is where you determine the consistency- don't stop until it's pretty much at the consistency you would like.
- Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes (this cooks the oatmeal more thoroughly).
- Remove cover, stir and serve.
- Garnish with chocolate chips, nuts, and/or fruit if desired.