A very good cookie. From "The high fiber cookbook for diabetics" by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.
Make and share this Chocolate Oat Bran Cookies With Chocolate Chips recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup water, at room temperature
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup egg white (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup miniature chocolate chip
- Mix oat bran and water, let stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes .
- (This timing is very important.) Cream margarine, sugar and sugar substitute together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites and vanilla and mix at medium speed for 30 seconds Scrape down the bowl Stir flour, cocoa, soda, dry buttermilk and salt together to blend well.
- Add to the creamed mixture along with the oat bran mixture and mix at medium speed to blend.
- Add chocolate chips to dough Drop by tablespoonful onto cookie sheets that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- (The cookies will not be crisp if they are not baked the full length of time.) Remove from hot cookie sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Use 1 cookie per serving.
- This recipe is a good source of fiber.
- Food exchanges per serving (1 cookie): 2/3 bread and 1 fat Low sodium diets: omit salt, use salt-free margarine Low-cholesterol diets: May be used as written.