Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another favorite from Family Circle
- 4 egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coffee, strong freshly brewed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- In a large steel bowl, combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, coffee and butter.
- Place over water bath, heat, stirring constantly until thermometer reads 160F, about 5 minute.
- Remove from water bath and add finely chopped chocolate, stir, until melted and incorporated.
- Stir in brandy
- If little pieces of cooked egg appear, strain through fine sieve into a clean bowl.
- Beat the fresh egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff, moist peaks form.
- Fold 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate mix.
- Then fold in the remaining whites.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until the mix mounts.
- Pour in large glass dish (chill 3+hours) or in 6 separate dishes (chill 2 hours)
- Decorate with whipping cream, if desired.
- Can be made 1 day ahead.