Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lovely cake and easy to prepare.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in mixing bowland beat together with electric mixer.
- Combine remaining ingredients excepts the hazelnuts in another bowl.
- Sprinkle hazelnuts into the wet mixture a bit at a time and beat in with the mixer until smooth.
- Pour in half of the batter in a greased 9 inch cake pan,
- Sprinkle with some hazelnut.
- Pour in the remaining batter and top with the remaning hazelnuts.
- In the preheated oven, bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until tests run clean.
- To test, dip a knife into the cake .
- If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle top with some powdered sugar and cut into wedges.