Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adopted this recipe from the recipezaar account. The previous owner said "This is the best chocolate frosting I have ever made. It is at its absolute best if not refrigerated after icing the cake. If you try this you will be making it often."
- 1⁄2 lb bittersweet chocolate (good quality)
- 6 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in ss bowl with 6 1/2 oz unsalted butter.
- Put over pan of simmering water.
- Whisk together as soon as chocolate and butter soften.
- Keep whisking until just melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in espresso and vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Place 5 oz of unsalted butter and 1/2 of the powdered sugar mixture in a Cuisinart food processor.
- Process scraping down sides.
- Add rest of powdered sugar mixture, start processor and slowly pour in cream.
- Process for about 10 seconds.
- Whisk butter/cocoa mixture together with room temperature chocolate/espresso mixture in a large bowl until it becomes shiny and smooth.
- Can be frozen.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
- Yield: Plenty for a 9" layer cake.
This frosting is delicious beyond description. I was looking for a frosting similar to the frosting used at a local bake shop that has a creamy texture and shiny appearance along with chocolaty goodness. This excelled on all counts. First time making it, I was concerned at the look of the batter before adding the chocolate/butter mixture. Thought it was going in the trash since it looked more like curdled liver sausage than frosting. However, it magically transformed after adding the rest of the mixture. Oh..I used a classic Sunbeam stand mixer rather than a food processor and it came out just fine. Thanks!
This is the best chocolate frosting I have ever had in my life. I don't even buy chocolate cake in stores any more because it can't compare. My friends request cakes with this frosting for their birthdays, and at a party in December, I passed through my kitchen and guests had found spoons and were eating the extra out of the mixing bowl. It is THAT good. Until I got a food processor, I made it with a stand mixer--worked fine. I would not skip the espresso powder if I were you. It doesn't taste coffee-like at all (which I would notice and dislike immediately) but gives it a great depth. Chocolate frosting can't get better than this.
Absolutely incredible!!! Mean Chef suggested this recipe when I was looking for something to fill little pre-made chocolate cups for a dessert tray. I made this according to the directions, with the exception of the espresso power for which I had to substitute instant coffee. The texture is beautiful. It spreads very well and, for my use, held its shape well when piped into cups with a pastry bag. The chocolate remained super-shiney as well. I sprinkled a few gold flakes on top and they were beautiful. This is the only chocolate frosting/filling I will ever make. Thanks!