Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adopted this recipe from the recipezaar account. The previous owner said "This is the best chocolate frosting I have ever made. It is at its absolute best if not refrigerated after icing the cake. If you try this you will be making it often."
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in ss bowl with 6 1/2 oz unsalted butter.
- Put over pan of simmering water.
- Whisk together as soon as chocolate and butter soften.
- Keep whisking until just melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in espresso and vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Place 5 oz of unsalted butter and 1/2 of the powdered sugar mixture in a Cuisinart food processor.
- Process scraping down sides.
- Add rest of powdered sugar mixture, start processor and slowly pour in cream.
- Process for about 10 seconds.
- Whisk butter/cocoa mixture together with room temperature chocolate/espresso mixture in a large bowl until it becomes shiny and smooth.
- Can be frozen.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
- Yield: Plenty for a 9" layer cake.
Absolutely incredible!!! Mean Chef suggested this recipe when I was looking for something to fill little pre-made chocolate cups for a dessert tray. I made this according to the directions, with the exception of the espresso power for which I had to substitute instant coffee. The texture is beautiful. It spreads very well and, for my use, held its shape well when piped into cups with a pastry bag. The chocolate remained super-shiney as well. I sprinkled a few gold flakes on top and they were beautiful. This is the only chocolate frosting/filling I will ever make. Thanks!
The most important step in this recipe is #13: Can be frozen. This makes a huge amount of frosting, more than was necessary for my daughter's birthday cake. I didn't have an espresso powder so I used some Taster's Choice instant coffee, vanilla-flavored. I froze the amount that was left-over (almost one-third). It defrosted beautifully this past weekend and I used it to frost a smaller cake. Thanks for my new keeper.
This is the best chocolate frosting I've ever used. At first I thought, nah, I don't want to use all those ingredients, and then thought about taking this short cut or that short cut. However, I was a good little bunny and did what I was told. Oh, wow. Beautiful texture and it freezes and thaws excellently. Brilliant one, MC.