Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The rich taste of chololate with espresso layered with peppermint filling and topped with unsweetened chocolate is mouthwatering!!! Prep time does not include cooling down period. The picture I have posted has the filling as Pink, as I made this for my Breast Cancer support group and thought Pink was a good idea LOL
- 3 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 -2 teaspoon espresso powder (up to 1 Tbsp)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream, add more to make easier to spread if needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- Melt the chocolate and butter either in the microwave or on low in small pot. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Once cool -- add eggs, flour, salt, sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, optional nuts.
- Spread into a greased 9 X 13 pan and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Once the brownies are cooled mix butter, cream, powdered sugar, extract, and food coloring.
- pour onto the cooled brownies and place in the refridgerator for an hour.
- Melt butter and chocolate spread over the green filling. Allow to harden a bit.
- Cut and serve.