CHOCOLATE MINT NANAIMO BARS
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (substitute pecans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, soften
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup mint chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease 8 x 8 dish and set aside. In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with butter into smooth. Remove from the heat and add graham crumbs, coconut flakes and walnuts; stir until well blended. Transfer mixture to prepared dish, pressing down to the bottom. Chill bottom layer for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, cornstarch, peppermint extract, sea salt, milk and food coloring. Beat ingredients until smooth. Add more natural green food coloring until desired color; process until completely combined. Spread evenly over the cooled base and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In the top of a bain-marie, add dark chocolate chips & mint chocolate &, butter and vanilla extract. Stir until mixture is melted and smooth – DON’T make it hot. Spread evenly topping over mint layer. Cool for about 15 minutes and cut into squares. Makes 12 bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!