1/1 Photo of Chocolate Dipped Smoked Almond Bacon Brittle
Not even remotely healthy, but oh so good. The chocolate drizzle can be optional. From Jane Rockmill's "I Love Bacon" cookbook. Great as a gift or bakesale.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 2 cups smoked almonds
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns
- 8 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1Cut bacon into bite-size pieces. Place pieces in large saute pan and cook over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Coarsely chop smoked almonds and set aside. Line baking sheet with silicone liner or waxed paper.
- 2In large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook mixture on medium-high heat about 4 minutes or until sugar turns thick and syrupy. Slowly add softened butter and continue stirring until mixture emulsifies. Keep cooking and stirring until mixture is golden brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- 3Remove pan from heat. If mixture is not smooth, whisk until it is. Stir in baking soda, salt, peppercorns, crispy bacon bits and almonds. Quickly but carefully pour brittle onto prepared baking sheet. When cool and hard, break brittle into bite-size pieces.
- 4Melt chocolate in microwave in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring in between intervals, until mixture is entirely melted but not hot. Cool chocolate to room temperature, then either dip pieces of brittle in the chocolate or drizzle the chocolate on top. Chill brittle until chocolate is set. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Dipped Smoked Almond Bacon Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (1241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2044.7
- Calories from Fat 1493
- Total Fat 165.8 g
- Saturated Fat 72.7 g
- Cholesterol 188.3 mg
- Sodium 766.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 147.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.5 g
- Sugars 96.0 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: