Wow, this sounds so yummy! I love chocolate covered strawberries. Can't wait to make this one! Enjoy!
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 7 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups baking cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 8 whole fresh strawberries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip whole strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.