Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is easy to make and beautiful when served.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- chocolate sprinkles or chocolate shavings
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg, yolk and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Form into a long log; cut into eight equal pieces.
- Shape each into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll balls in additional sugar; place between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Roll each into a 6-in. circle.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper; flip the circles onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Remove waxed paper; prick dough with a fork.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Carefully loosen cookies and cool on paper towels.
- For frosting, melt chocolate chips with half-and-half in a heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally; cool.
- Combine whipped cream and vanilla; fold into chocolate mixture.
- Layer cookies, spreading 1/4 cup frosting between each layer.
- Spread remaining frosting over sides and top.
- Decorate with chocolate sprinkles.
- Refrigerate overnight before cutting.