Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Individual dishes that are great for "company" - originally made in Strings Restaurant in Denver Colorado!
- 6 miniature croissants (or 3 1/2 cups French bread, cubed)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise in half
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 2 cups French vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut croissants into 1/2" cubes (3 1/2 cups)& spread in ungreased jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10".
- Bake 10 minutes, stir& bake 8-10 minutes longer, or until golden and toasted.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Heat whipping cream& half-and-half in a 2 qt.
- saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla beans.
- Beat hot cream into egg yolk mixture with wire whisk.
- Strain custard through a sieve to remove vanilla beans.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Divide croissant cubes and chocolate chunks among 6 ungreased 6 oz.
- ramekins or custard cups.
- Pour custard over croissant cubes.
- Place ramekins in 13x9" baking pan, on oven rack.
- Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2" of tops of cups.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
this was awsome, i waited to make this for easter dessert,everyone loved it,i will make this again