Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the NY Times. Here for safekeeping and to try. About 30 minutes to cook and about 30 minutes to churn. Original recipe called for "1 large pinch of salt" which I put in as 1/8 tsp. Guessing on the serving size. Recipe makes 2 quarts plus one cup which is 9 cups and ice cream serving is about 1/2 cup.
- 11 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee beans, lightly crushed with back of knife
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (large pinch)
- 5 ounces cashews, roasted salted and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- Finely chop 6 ounces chocolate. Break 5 remaining ounces into small chunks. Place finely chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine milk, cream and coffee beans. Bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes; pour over chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar and salt. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk in the chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
- Return custard to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Do not let mixture reach a simmer. Strain mixture through a fine sieve and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, about 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- Churn custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add chocolate chunks and cashews during final 5 minutes of churning. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Freeze for 3 hours before serving.