From the NY Times. Here for safekeeping and to try. About 30 minutes to cook and about 30 minutes to churn. Original recipe called for "1 large pinch of salt" which I put in as 1/8 tsp. Guessing on the serving size. Recipe makes 2 quarts plus one cup which is 9 cups and ice cream serving is about 1/2 cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely chop 6 ounces chocolate. Break 5 remaining ounces into small chunks. Place finely chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- 2In a large, heavy saucepan, combine milk, cream and coffee beans. Bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes; pour over chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar and salt. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk in the chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
- 4Return custard to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Do not let mixture reach a simmer. Strain mixture through a fine sieve and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, about 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- 5Churn custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add chocolate chunks and cashews during final 5 minutes of churning. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Freeze for 3 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream With Salted Cashews
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 115.4 mg
- Sodium 91.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: