Recipe by Kozmic Blues
**INGREDIENTS AND AMOUNTS ON THIS RECIPE APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN ALTERED SOMEHOW. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS UNTIL I CAN FIND THE ORIGINAL RECIPE I USED, AND MAKE CORRECTIONS - THANKS IN ADVANCE!!** I had the MOST decadent bread pudding dessert at a restaurant here in downtown Providence. The bread pudding was made using Portuguese Sweet Bread and was absolutely AMAZING. This is my attempt to recreate this fabulous dessert for my self at home!
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 7 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups portuguese sweet bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, and butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- Whisk milk, heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into milk mixture and add the pods.
- Heat milk/cream mixture to just steaming, but not boiling!
- Whisk eggs and yolks in a large bowl, and gradually add 2 cups of hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper.
- Pour tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the hot milk.
- Strain mixture to remove any lumps and the vanilla pods.
- Spread bread cubes in prepared dish and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Slowly pour custard over bread, being sure to saturate all of the bread. (If you can, it's nice to let it sit and soak evenly for 1/2 or so).
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour or until a small knife inserted in the center of the pudding comes out clean.