Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This the first coffee cake I ever made for my grandpa. I was around 10. I was so proud that I made it myself. I just found it to make with my DD who is 10 now.
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan.
- Cream butter adding 1 cup of sugar. Beat until well combined.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder,and baking soda.
- Mix sour cream and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spread 1/2 the batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon sprinkle 1/2 over chips.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- I usually make more cinnamon sugar and add it in the center layer over the chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes until center comes out clean.
Very chocolatey. In fact, I thought it was too much chocolate and would have been fine with half the number of chips called for. I split the recipe into 2 8x8 pans and found the batter very thick and difficult to spread. If I were to make again, I would not bother to spread the layer between and would simply add the sugar mixture and about 1 cup of chocolate chips to the top of the cake.