Recipe by Krich
This is my husband's favorite dessert. He requests it every year for his birthday. It is creamy with just a little of that cream cheese twang. The filling and topping are from a TOH recipe submitted by Christina Till, the crust has been adapted to our tastes.
- 20 Oreo cookies, crushed fine
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine crushed Oreo cookies and butter in a bowl.
- Press firmly into the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat or the cheesecake will crack.
- Add cornstarch and sugar and mix until combined.
- Add eggs to mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently stir in the cream, vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 60 minutes. Check often after 45 minutes to avoid overcooking the cheesecake.
- Cheesecake is done when edges are firm but center is still slightly jiggly.
- Turn oven off, but leave cheesecake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cheesecake, run a small spatula around edge of pan and put cheesecake back in oven to finish cooling. This will help reduce cracking.
- Remove cheesecake from oven after 45-60 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cheesecake is cool, melt chocolate in microwave.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Add powdered sugar and cream and mix until smooth. Mixture will appear thick and lumpy, but keep mixing until smooth.
- Spread topping over cheesecake.
- Refrigerate cheesecake at least 4 hours, overnight if possible.
- Cooking time does not include time for cheesecake to cool.