Sinfully rich chocolate frosting covers tender vanilla cake layers studded with mini chocolate chips. To top it off, there are lots of Hershey's Hugs and Kisses. Preparation time includes cooling cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- additional mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 60 Hershey chocolate kisses, unwrapped (Hershey's Kisses and Hugs)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter and flour 2 (9 inch) round cake pans.
- 3Mix 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Toss 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips with remaining 2 T flour; reserve.
- 5In bowl on medium-high speed, beat 1 cup butter and sugar until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- 6Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 7Beat in sour cream and vanilla until combined.
- 8Alternately beat in flour mixture with milk.
- 9Stir in reserved flour-chocolate chips mixture.
- 10Divide evenly between pans.
- 11Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- 12Cool 10 minutes.
- 13Transfer from pans to racks.
- 14Cool completely.
- 15Meanwhile, in microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips on high, stirring often, until melted, about 1 minute.
- 16Stir until smooth.
- 17Cool to room temperature, 10 minutes.
- 18On medium, beat remaining 1 cup butter until fluffy; beat in melted chocolate, then gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, until fluffy.
- 19Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- 20Top with remaining cake layer.
- 21Spread cake top and side with remaining frosting.
- 22If desired, press additional chocolate chips along bottom edge of cake.
- 23Cover top with Kisses and Hugs candies.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Cake With Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 659.9
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.9 mg
- Sodium 365.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 57.5 g
- Protein 6.7 g