Mayonnaise Cake With Chocolate Frosting
photo by Greeny4444
- Ready In:
For the cake
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, heaping
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is a good kind)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda, plus 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cool water, plus 2-3 tablespoons cool water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x12 baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until you can't see any more flour.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting: Place powdered sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl (I usually use a 4-cup Pyrex mesuring cup).
- Heat butter and milk in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave until the butter is melted (be careful - if the heat is too high, it'll splatter!).
- Gradually beat the butter mixture into the cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spread the warm frosting over the cooled cake. The frosting makes about a cup or so.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an active lady, and I am not the top chef in the world, but I can hold my own. I love making things that remind me of when I was little, I love trying out new recipes, and I love learning new things to cook. Most of the recipes I post are recipes I loved that I found online, but that I have tweaked just a bit. I do have some family recipes on here too. I love to bake, probably more than anything else in the kitchen. I love to bike ride. I like to read, travel, kayak (I've only been twice, but I loved it), hike, camp, basically any outdoorsy/active stuff.?