Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lovely, moist cake for serving tea or taking on a picnic. Odense web site.
- 7 ounces almond paste, grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 large eggs, room temperature divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chips or 5 ounces finely chopped baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- confectioners' sugar, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Add almond paste, sugar and butter to a bowl.
- Mix until combined.
- Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Add 4 of the eggs (one at a time), beating well between each addition.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add chips or chopped chocolate, to flour and toss.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, alternately with milk.
- Gently fold together until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and wipe out mixing bowl.
- In same bowl beat almonds, brown sugar and remaining egg until egg is frothy.
- Spread on top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when gently pressed with finger.
- Cool cake on rack.
- Dust with confectionary sugar if desired.